We can’t get enough of die-cutting recently, take a peek at issue 30 for our guide to getting started. Here we have a great weekend project using Sizzix dies - apple core pin cushions which look cute and are functional too. These would make a great gift for a friend, grandma or teacher!
- Sizzix Big Shot machine (657900)
- Sizzix dies: Bigz L apple-core (659841), Framelets 8 PK nesting circles (657551), Bigz leaves plain #2 (658105), sizzix.co.uk
- Cotton fabric for the apple
- Felt in a few shades of greens
- Ric-rac, twill tape or ribbon
- Fibre fill
- Needle and thread
- Use the apple core die to cut two fabric sections. Repeat with the circle die in a green felt.
- Die-cut two leaves of the same size and one smaller leaf with the felt. Hand sew a smaller leaf shape onto the larger shape, embroider veins to embellish. Stitch the larger leaves together leaving a gap to fill with wadding, closing gap once padded.
- Cut out a circle shape from green felt using the smallest circle die and snip in half. Attach onto the middle of one of the apple cuts, leaving a small gap, then fix the ric-rac into place on the upper and lower edges of the core shape.
- Sew the leaf to the top of the apple-core and add a 6-inch loop of twill tape or ribbon for the apple’s stem. Once done, stitch the apple-core pieces together with a ¼ inch seam, leaving an opening for turning at the bottom. Stuff the apple with fibre fill and sew shut.