If you’ve got yourself a copy of Homemaker’s issue 42 (which we’re sure you have!) then you’re bound to have seen Biscuiteers’ gorgeous Easter egg biscuits. Before you give their icing tutorial a whirl on page 70, whip yourself up a batch of their easy vanilla biscuits.
To make 24-30, you'll need
- 350g plain flour
- 100g self-raising flour
- 125g granulated sugar
- 125g salted butter softened, diced
- 125g golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- Sift the flours together into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the butter. Using just the tips of your fingers, rub the ingredients together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- When all the butter is evenly mixed in, make a well in the centre and add the syrup and the egg.
- Mix well, drawing in any of the flour left at the side of the bowl, and stop as soon as a ball has formed.
- Roll out the dough and cut your easter egg shapes.
- Bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes depending on the size of your biscuits at 170°C, or until golden brown.
For the perfect bake, check out Biscuiteers’ golden rules for making biscuit dough here!