Cats and cookies, dogs and doughnuts, Homemakers, we simply had to share this idea with you – we love it! Battersea Dogs & Cats Home is inviting animal lovers everywhere to combine their passion for pets with their love of fondant fancies and host their very own Battersea Tea Party this October.
Party hosts have an option of two themes; for the feline-fanatic who enjoys afternoon teas with finesse and elegance, there is the cat-themed party, and for the dog lover who enjoys nothing more than to scoff their scones and slurp their tea, there is a dog-themed party. Whether the theme is cat or dog, the tea parties are a fantastic way to get people together, enjoy some homemade baking and make a real difference to the lives of animals looking for new homes.
The tea parties will take place around the country on Friday 24 October and money raised from donations and cake sales will help Battersea care for and rehome thousands of dogs and cats every year. Register for your own party here and check out the recipes below for some baking inspiration!
- 125g ground almonds
- 200g icing sugar
- 3 free-range egg whites
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Red food colouring
- 200g white chocolate, chopped
- 200ml double cream
- 15g unsalted butter
DOGGY ETON MESS
- 250g strawberries
- 250g raspberries
- 100g white chocolate chunks
- 400ml double cream
- 3 ready-made meringue nests, crushed
- Strawberry sauce
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Then slowly whisk in the cream of tartar and caster sugar.
- Fold in the food colouring, almonds and icing sugar.
- Pipe the mixture onto a lined baking tray in cat shapes, with circles and pointy ears. Tap the tray to release any air bubbles, then leave for 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/315F/Gas 2½. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- For the white chocolate filling, heat the cream and chocolate over a low heat, add the butter, a dash of the food colouring, then stir until smooth.
- Once cool, use the filling to sandwich the macaroons together. Purr-fect!
DOGGY ETON MESS
- Whip the double cream until stiff peaks form, then fold in half the strawberries and raspberries, the chocolate chunks, a spoonful of strawberry sauce and the crushed meringue.
- Spoon equal amounts of the mixture into serving bowls.
- Serve garnished with the remaining chocolate chunks, fruit and more sauce.