If you’ve read our ‘Why we love fireworks’ piece in issue 24, then you’ll know all about editorial assistant Frankie’s amazing bonfire birthday cake. This cake would look great at a family fireworks gathering, and if you fancy giving it a go yourself then here are the decorating steps you need:
- Three thin 20cm chocolate sponge cakes
- 180g butter
- 150 icing sugar
- 450g cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 boxes of Matchmakers, mint or orange
- Blend together the butter, icing sugar, cream cheese and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Stack the three sponges on top of each other and using a knife cut them into a tall cone shape.
- Separate the layers again and spread frosting in between each one. Re-stack them and coat the sides of the cone with the remaining frosting.
- Stack the Matchmakers upwards round the outside, trying to fill all gaps.
- Chill in the fridge for an hour to allow this to set.
- Finally, stick candles (or sparklers if you want it to be extra special) in the top and light them for a truly showstopping bake!